Sunday, July 8, 2007

Michigan: the Nanny State

Did you really send us to Lansing to do this kind of work? The bill described below is a clear example of government over-reach. I was one of the 7 "NO" votes on the bill. I originally was somewhat supportive of the idea. In fact, I still support the concept of providing additional protection for small children by putting them in "booster" seats. But, as I said in my "no vote explanation" if in fact booster seats provide additional protection for small children, what parent wouldn't use them? Do we really need the government to tell us what common sense measures to employ when raising our children? Is there a law against children playing in traffic? Is there a law against running with scissors? I think not. Why should there be a law that says we need to provide more common sense protection for our children?

2007 House Bill 4536 (Expand auto child seat mandates )
[History, Amendments & Comments] [Text and Analysis] [Add to Watch List]
Introduced by Rep. Kathy Angerer on March 28, 2007, to require child safety booster seats for children between four- and eight-years old who are under 4-feet 9-inches tall and weigh less than 80 pounds.
Passed in the House (101 to 7) on June 27, 2007, to require child safety booster seats for children between four- and eight-years old who are under 4-feet 9-inches tall. [Vote Details and Comments]
Received in the Senate on June 28, 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on this. Do we really need laws to regulate everything we do? I think not! Thanks for your work & for the updates! ~T. Webb

Jason said...

I have a 17 month old daughter and the way the regulations are going by the time she can drive we will all be required to have five point harnesses, helmets, and roll cages in our cars. I cannot remember even sitting in a child seat when I was young and I'm only 27. I think that if we want to regulate something we should have a mandatory driving test every couple of years or so to help prevent bad drivers from being on the road. Not keep increasing the laws on harnessing our children to the point of near mummification. I do want my child to be safe in an accident but I think it should be up to the parents to protect their children not to the government to assume that we are somehow uncaring or too ignorant to be good parents.