Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dems answer to budget shortfall? INCREASE spending

Yes, folks, it's true. Today the House Appropriations committee passed a "supplemental spending bill" (HB 4492) to address the spending shortfall in this year's budget. Oddly, the bill (as reported by MIRS) actually increases spending for this year by $69.5 million! Included in the bill is "the intent of the Legislature to restore funding for the Healthy Michigan Fund and arts grants in the 2007-2008 fiscal year."

If that isn't bad enough, the bill is tie-barred to HB 4500, which will raise your income tax from 3.9% to 4.6%. I hope you are ready to pay your fair share of taxes...

To learn more abut these bills go to www.michiganvotes.org.

Stay tuned for up-to-the-minute reports from the house floor as time permits...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why aren't we letting local governments fund their own parks, arts, zoos, libraries, etc? It's time people's tax money was used how they see fit to benefit their own community. I don't want my tax dollars being used as a cultural grant for a big city that is hours away. I'd rather use that money to build a park in my little hometown that my kids will actually use on a daily basis. I'd like to see locals have the ability to choose to privatize their library systems so that they will be more cost-effective. Improve your own community, don't expect me to do it.